Dog Trainer - BabyDog and TomeyK9
Are you a positive reinforcement dog trainer that understands dogs on a whole other level? The kind of person who can see exactly what a dog needs to thrive and meet their potential? Are you the type of person that has a way with people and is great at communication and teaching? We are on the lookout for our next extraordinary team member!
As a professional dog trainer with BabyDog and TomeyK9, you will be working to help our clients communicate effectively with their canine companions and will use your knowledge, skill, expertise, and experience to help them raise and train a dog they can take anywhere.
Being a dog trainer is not just about training dogs, it’s about training people, too. We start by educating, demonstrating, coaching, and teaching our clients about canine behaviour, appropriate positive reinforcement training methods, techniques, and tools that will help set our clients and their dogs up for success.
Why consider working with us?
We are a growing team here in Victoria and beyond, with big ambition and heart. We value emotional intelligence and will work with you to define and meet your career goals. We currently service all municipalities in and around Greater Victoria, extending out to Sooke and even Sidney. We’re expanding and we invest in our trainers so that they can grow too!
Full-time trainer perks:
- Up to $500 of annual paid professional development
- One hour paid lunch daily
- Four weeks holiday per year: two paid, two unpaid
- Stat Holidays off
- Free dog training for your pup
- Fuel subsidy
- Five paid sick days per year
- In lieu hours – for covering any co-worker’s class
- Your birthday off, paid
- Secret Santa birthday gifts
- Free company apparel
- Summer and winter bi-annual staff party
- Free expertise from all your co-trainers, including time to present cases and obtain feedback from a company owner/master trainer every two weeks
- Unlimited opportunity to learn from and shadow other trainers on the team in your time off
- Team support, including an experienced and skilled management staff, coverage for your classes if needed, etc.
Expectations as a part of our team:
- Teach group classes (puppy socialization classes, all levels of obedience, behaviour modification classes and pack walks)
- Work one on one with our clients and their dogs to help them achieve their obedience and behaviour modification goals
- Potentially participate in aspects of our video content generation (script and curriculum creation, filming, etc)
- Speak well in public, and effectively lead people and groups of people with their dogs to established learning outcomes
While we work hard to ensure a work-life balance we have to set the expectation upfront: this is not a typical 9-5 job. We set our hours and class schedules based on the times that our clients are available. This dream job requires that your schedule be flexible and that you have evening and weekend availability. We are looking for someone that is available and willing to work 40 hrs per week.
Skill and training style expectations:
- Appropriate experience in teaching rewards-based, positive reinforcement, basic, intermediate, advanced and behavioural obedience training in group and private settings, and the willingness to demonstrate it. Or, dog training certification and the willingness and competency to learn on the job (inexperienced candidates without certification will not be considered at this time)
- A class 5 driver’s license and a vehicle (fuel subsidy provided)
- Cell phone with data plan
- Able to make your clients feel both comfortable and empowered by their interactions with you, as measured by client retention and lead generation for further training
- Punctuality, organization, and conscientiousness
- Physically Fit, able to lift up to 50 lbs + as some dogs are heavy! Ability to move quickly on your feet and have ninja-like reflexes
- Safe handling of puppies while they interact in a socialization class setting. Patience is a must and the ability to stay focused and manage safety is imperative
** Note that only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.